Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Have you ever wondered

how fresh the eggs you bought at the grocery store were? Growing up on a ranch we always had fresh eggs. They tasted good and when you broke them the white did not run all over the pan. I had to do some research and discovered you can tell the date the eggs were packed. Go to the "sell by" date and you will find another number. This number indicates the day the eggs were packed. It represents consecutive days of the year (January 1 being 1 to December 31 being 366). I checked the last carton of eggs I bought and found out they were packed on day 71, which would be March 11. (Don't forget this year is leap year so there is the extra day.) After the egg is collected, it is graded and "candled" for defects and then cleaned before packing. So this may mean an extra 2 or 3 days. I bought my carton of eggs on March 17, so they could have been 8 or 9 days old when I purchased them. Eggs can be kept 4 to 5 weeks after the "sell by" date if refrigerated. No wonder the white ran all over the pan and the yolk was flat. Grandmother

1 comment: