Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pumpkin Face Felt Board

Okay this is my last post about Halloween and then I will move on.

For a little extra Halloween treat I made a pumpkin/jack-o-lantern felt board with a variety of face pieces for the grandkiddos.

Here's how I did it:

I cut a piece of cardboard from a box. You can make it any size you want. Mine was around 12 inches x 12 inches. Then I cut a piece of felt larger than the cardboard. Lay the cardboard on top of the felt.


First fold in the corners and glue. You can use super glue, a glue gun or fabric glue. I used fabric glue.


Then fold in each side and glue it down well.


Flip it over and the felt should be snug on the cardboard...voila...you have just made a felt board.


Next either draw a pumpkin on freezer paper or look for a line drawing on the internet. Pick the one you like best. Print it to the best size to fit your felt board. If there is a stem to your printed pumpkin cut it out separately or draw the stem on freezer paper.



Trace the pattern onto freezer paper if you printed it. Cut out the pattern and then iron it onto the felt you will be using for the pumpkin and cut out. Do the same for the stem.


Using a permanent marker or similar pen draw the lines for the pumpkin. 


Either draw out your face shapes or again use the computer and find patterns that you like. You can find some here and here. Print out the patterns. (There is another face pattern on the back side showing through. I saved on paper by printing on both sides.)



Trace your face pieces onto freezer paper and then cut out. Iron the pieces onto felt and cut out.




I made three different faces. Which can be put together in a multitude of expressions....the star dazed jack o lantern. Mwaaahahaaa!

 The surprised expression. Booooo!


The jack o lantern with fangs! I vant to suck your blood!


To keep all of the face pieces from getting lost, I made a little pocket to go onto the back of the felt board. I cut a rectangle large enough to hold the pieces from felt and then sewed two darts into one long side.


Using super glue I glued the pocket onto the cardboard. Just be sure to poof up the pocket a little so there is room for a hand to reach in and take out the pieces without ripping the pocket off. You could also make a small bag to hold the pieces in. My grandkids are two-years-old which in hindsight might be a little young for this project. A better target age would probably be 3 and older. Older children could even put this together themselves (with adult supervision) drawing their own faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment