Thursday, May 17, 2012

Unleashing My Creativity

When my art quilt group met in April we did slow blind contour drawing. It was an exercise from this book that involved drawing a still life slowly following the contours of all of the shapes with your eyes but not looking at your paper as you drew. Doing this exercise takes the left brain out of the picture. The left brain is bossy and wants to label everything and rationalize everything, while the right brain wants to play and explore and experiment. The right brain doesn't care about words or logic. If you can shut up the left brain then you can unleash your creative self....even if you think you don't have one.


This is the drawing I came up with while doing the exercise. For May's meeting we were to pick a section of the drawing that we wanted to enlarge and work with.


I picked this portion of the blind drawing and enlarged it. The next step was to trace or copy the enlarged drawing onto watercolor paper and paint it.


This is my painting. I don't know anything about watercolors...other than using water with the paint. In fact I don't know anything about art...I wasn't the one in my family to get the artistic talent. I wish I had more talent. Maybe if I keep doing the exercises in the book I can unlock my inner artist and be more creative.

I think I will go back to the watercolors and add some layering and see what happens. I would like to figure out how to blend the colors better too. The next step from here would be to design a quilt off of this painting. I'm not sure about doing all of those petals on the flower, but I think it would make an interesting quilt.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks! That is high praise since you are an accomplished artist...makes me feel pretty good!!!

    ReplyDelete