Sunday, September 19, 2010

Our Baltic Cruise

We recently went on a Baltic cruise with my in-laws.  It was quite a whirlwind, as we traveled to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Gdansk and Oslo.  The trip started out rough as we missed our connecting flight to Copenhagen and all the Copenhagen flights were booked for the rest of the day.  Luckily, we managed to get on a later flight on standby, so it seemed things were looking better.  That is until we were in Copenhagen and Nate immediately found his bag and as we waited and waited and waited, I began to dread the inevitable--that my bag was missing.  At that point, everything just hit me--the exhaustion, the stress of missing our flight, the lack of clothes for three plus days--and I crumbled in the middle of the airport.


Fortunately, we got all the hard stuff out of the way early, so the rest of the trip was wonderful.  My favorite cities were Tallinn, Estonia; Gdansk, Poland; and Stockholm, Sweden.  


Tallinn was definitely my absolute favorite.  It had such a medieval charm about it.  The whole city was protected from raids by a massive stone wall and you could tell there was so much history there.  One detail that I really noticed was every single building had the most unique, colorful and creative doors I have ever seen.  When Nate and I own a home, we will import our front door from Tallinn.  That's how amazing they were.  Here are a few photos:


{City wall}

{Nate and I in front of the stone wall}

{Alexander Nevsky Cathedral}

{One of the amazing doors}

Next up, Gdansk.  I must say that what truly won my heart in Gdansk was my lunch-- this wonderful, juicy, perfectly cooked polish sausage.  If you know me, you know the way to my heart is through food.  

{Downtown Gdansk}

{the most colorful buildings}

Now for Stockholm.  Somehow it managed to charm us even though it was pouring rain the whole time.

{Stockholm from the ferry}

{Gamla Stan- Old Town}

{Best statue ever- St. George slaying a dragon}

Next post, I'll do a roundup of my favorite trip photos and tell you about our adventures in Berlin.  ~Daughter

1 comment:

  1. I loved visiting Copenhagen and Stockholm when I was with the circus, but thought Helsinki was odd. Maybe one day I will return to do the rest.

    ReplyDelete