Friday, December 18, 2009

Spicy Tomato & Blue Cheese Soup on a Wintry Evening

This recipe for Spicy Tomato & Blue Cheese Soup is a must try. At first glance, it may seem like an odd combination, but in reality, it is a delicious, spicy, creamy concoction. And even if you don't like blue cheese, I think you might still like this soup. The cheese only adds a hint of flavor, but a heap of creaminess.

I could not find Roth Kase Buttermilk Blue Cheese as the original recipe calls for, so I just picked a generic soft, creamy kind. It worked just as well. I would not however make Adam Roberts' other substitution. You must use sriracha sauce, as the recipe states. Do not substitue Tobasco for it. Sriracha has a wonderful complex spiciness that just can't be replaced by Tobasco.

I paired this delicious soup with a homemade boule from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day", a must for any bread lover. My mom, both grandmas and my sister-in-law have this book. All are wonderful cooks, so that should speak volumes.

I also made a fennel and apple salad. The recipe is here. If I were to redo this, I would have cut down significantly on the fennel or maybe even eliminated it, as the apples in the vinaigrette were delicious enough by themselves.

Clearly, this meal wouldn't be perfection without a nice, cold bottle of Winter, White Ale.


How fitting for a day like this?




Daughter.


No comments:

Post a Comment