Thursday, June 19, 2008

Aha, I found

something new. It was a BIG wasplike insect which was a lovely blue color. It was in my garden and I captured it to study. After looking at it I began to research what it was. After resorting to the internet with various pictures and explanations I ended up calling our local Extension Office and talked to a Master Gardner. After explaining what I found they said it sounded like a "mud dabber." I also found out they are called mud daubers, mud dobbers and are in the wasp family. They are more beneficial than destructive because they rarely sting and eat spiders. I was told to look for "mud nests" around the house. I found several which I destroyed in hopes they would move to the neighbors. Just another interesting day in the garden. Grandmother

No comments:

Post a Comment