Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Stuffed Bunny


Easter has already rolled by and I am just now getting these cute little bunnies up. I just can't keep up! These bunnies are tiny (7 inches tall)...which adds to the cuteness factor and makes them perfect for little hands. I used this tutorial to make them. Mine are stuffed completely with batting. The beads make the little bodies more flexible, but I wondered about safety if a seam should break. It wouldn't be a problem with an older child but with babies and toddlers it might be.

Here are a few tips that you might find helpful in addition to the tutorial directions...

They take less than 1/4 yard of fabric. I used fleece remnants that I had.

Definitely add 1/4 inch seam allowance before cutting out the fabric pieces. If you don't you will have really itty bitty bunnies.


To turn the ears right side out start at the tip rather than the bottom. Pull the fabric apart and use a turning tool to push the fabric right side out. 


Fold the ears in half and stitch the bottom in place. This will make it much easier to keep the fold when sewing to the head.


Then stitch the ears in place on the face front making sure the fold of each ear is toward the face. I used perl cotton for embroidering the facial features. For the french knot eyes I used 4 wraps around the needle. Typically I only use 3 wraps, but that made the eyes too small. It is helpful to draw the face with a disappearing marker before stitching.


I stitched the head back down 1 1/2 inches. I found 3/4 inch to be too short when sewing the back seam of the head and body closed.


In sewing the head to the body pin the arms forward, but make sure they won't get caught in the seam.


The tails add another factor of cuteness to these little bunnies. 



Bunnies galore!

No comments:

Post a Comment