Monday, December 3, 2012

Sewing Machine Cover

I made this sewing machine cover for my mom for her birthday. I have to say that it is a pretty labor intensive and fancy cover. If I were to make it for myself I would probably skip a few of the steps...like not making a lining. This cover could be made with just the outer fabric and the batting and be good enough. Or you could just make the cover with a pre-quilted fabric and skip the batting and the lining steps.  I also would probably skip the fancy trim and little bow embellishment too. After all it isn't like my sewing machine gets that many visitors!

The directions were pretty easy to follow. I had a bit of trouble with the side panels which have rounded corners and then are eased in to the main panel. Some puckering occurred with the sewing. I tried to cut the corners a little more deeply and that helped some.

I also would probably skip the handle on the top and just add a tab for pulling the cover off. The handles seems a bit excessive and elaborate. And if you really wanted to stream line the cover you could omit the little ruffle at the bottom.

Since I was making this for a gift though I went all the way and now my mom has the best dressed sewing machine around.

No comments:

Post a Comment