Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Self Portrait

Some time ago my art quilt group explored making a self portrait quilt. I didn't go into making one with any hard and firm decisions. I did a sketch and then just decided to let the quilt fall into place on its own. I typically don't even wear lipstick, but I think that vicariously I covet ruby red lips!


When I was younger I used to blush at the drop of a hat. I don't seem to do that so much anymore....probably has to do with blood circulating slower or somethin!


I still say that my hair is blonde, but hubby says it is gray...what does he know anyway! My driver's license will forever say blonde!


Yup...this is what I look like! Actually in a sort of funky way I do think it looks like me!


Features were fused on and then appliqued. Highlighting was done with stitching and some thread painting. Eyelashes were hand sewn with perl cotton. Bangs were labeled with black pigma pen. Hair was enhanced with couched yarn...my version of extensions! The necklace is beads hand sewn on. Instead of putting a binding on the quilt I did a small close zigzag around the border and then did a second round zigzagging over a thick yarn. This turned out to be a fun little project...now where to hang it?

3 comments: