Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mounting Medical Costs

The more my husband talks about retirement, the more I begin to hyperventilate. Not just because he will be crashing my peace and quiet, but because of the threat of looming medical costs. We haven't worked with employers who will continue health insurance after retirement so the cost will be coming directly out of our retirement account. And it is a mounting cost as we are still a long ways from Medicare.

Currently my scary, heart-stopping reading isn't "Who Dunnit Books" but the real-life tales of individuals who have retired and are facing mountains of bills from hospital and medical treatments. Not only have costs escalated substantially, but the out-of-pocket money payments have also climbed. It's enough to give anyone nightmares.

This leaves me pondering options when my husband does decide to retire...look for a job with health benefits, run for Congress, find a job with the federal government or enlist. After all isn't the slogan "Uncle Sam Wants You" applicable to everyone, baby boomers included. Hmmm, now that would be enough to motivate our elected leaders to move more quickly in making decisions on the health care crisis...me in the military. Now that's scary! Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment