Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I can't believe

that my granddaughter took a sewing class and lived to write about it. I am so proud of her!!!! Now if she can only learn to sew buttons on she will have it made. Here she is in her twenties and finally decided to take on a sewing project. In my day everyone sewed. I learned to sew on a treadle sewing machine. You had to push the pedal with both feet, some people used the toe-heel method, others used the two foot power push and once you got it going you had to watch your fingers and guide the material through the sewing process. The only "A" I got on my report card in 7th grade was in home ec. It was a breeze for me since I had been sewing for two or three years. We made an apron with two pockets, one on the bib and one on the waist.

My mother and my great aunt made all our clothes. I didn't get a "boughten dress" until I was in high school. Those clothes my Mom and Aunt made lasted through several children. I was lucky because I was the oldest and didn't have to share hand-me-downs. Today we are lucky if we can find something made in the USA, since most of the clothing is imported. Grandmother

No comments:

Post a Comment